Activity LInk: Hot Potato! Activityon Heating and Cooling
Student Activity Tester Comments:
- Time required to complete the activity: About 2 hours
- One person can complete the activity, but having a lab partner is recommended
- This experiment does take a lot of time to do and can be tedious if they do not have the proper tools like the digital thermometer or a properly working oven.
- Can be challenging in a dorm setting. A convectional oven is cheaper and is what I used but it can mess up the data very easily and take longer depending on how many potatoes one is using.
- The Oneida thermometer costs $20, the potatoes can cost around $5.
- Deriving the formulas in the experiment is very helpful as well as explaining the "lag" between the temperature of the potato and the temperature of the oven.