Product rule and quotient rule modules
After completing this section, students should be able to do the following.
- Identify products of functions.
- Use the product rule to calculate derivatives.
- Identify quotients of functions.
- Use the quotient rule to calculate derivatives.
- Combine derivative rules to take derivatives of more complicated functions.
- Explain the signs of the terms in the numerator of the quotient rule.
- Use the product and quotient rule to calculate derivatives from a table of values.
Derivatives of products are tricky
Two young mathematicians discuss derivatives of products and products of derivatives.
The product rule and quotient rule
Here we compute derivatives of products and quotients of functions.