- Mindy Boland
- Statistics and Probability
- Material Type:
- Community College / Lower Division, College / Upper Division, College Credit Plus
- Ohio Open Ed Collaborative
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0
- Media Formats:
- Downloadable docs, Text/HTML, Video
Longitudinal Vs Cross-Sectional Studies
Correlational Vs. Causal Relationships
Observational Vs. Experimental Studies
Types of Statistical Studies
Section 1: Different Types of Statistical Studies
What are the different types of statistical studies?
It is important to correctly identify different types of statistical studies. Broadly speaking there are two different types of studies - observational and experimental. Some of these studies are retrospective (where data are observed or recorded on variables of interest from events that have already occurred). Some studies are prospective (where data are observed as they happen, as in medical studies). Such studies can be longitudinal (where data are studied across a time period) or cross-sectional (where data are studied at a particular point of time).