A disease that is constantly present in a population is called _____.
Which of the statements about biofilms is incorrect?
- Biofilms are considered responsible for diseases such as cystic fibrosis.
- Biofilms produce dental plaque, and colonize catheters and prostheses.
- Biofilms colonize open wounds and burned tissue.
- All statements are incorrect.
Which of these statements is true?
- An antibiotic is any substance produced by a organism that is antagonistic to the growth of prokaryotes.
- An antibiotic is any substance produced by a prokaryote that is antagonistic to the growth of other viruses.
- An antibiotic is any substance produced by a prokaryote that is antagonistic to the growth of eukaryotic cells.
- An antibiotic is any substance produced by a prokaryote that prevents growth of the same prokaryote.
A person in England arrives at a medical clinic with a fever and swollen lymph nodes shortly after returning from a visit to New Mexico. For which bacteria should the doctor test the patient?
- Salmonella enterica
- Borrelia burgdorferi
- Clostridium botulinum
- Yersinia pestis
MRSA has emerged as a serious infectious disease, with the first case of methicillin-resistant S. aureus being detected in 1961. Why are medical professionals so concerned when antibiotics exist that can kill MRSA?
- MRSA can transfer methicillin-resistance to other bacteria.
- Patients are not treated with correct antibiotics rapidly enough to prevent serious illness.
- MRSA could acquire additional antibiotic resistance genes from other bacteria to become a “super bug.”
- All of the above.