Sociology: Understanding and Changing the Social World
Approaches to Sociological Research
Introduction to Social Science Research - Molly Ott
Data in the News
Why Phone and Web Survey Results Aren't the Same
Explain the Social Science Research Process
OER Text Material
Soicology as a Social Science. This section will cover the following:
- Explain what is meant by saying that sociology is a social science.
- Describe the difference between a generalization and a law in scientific research.
- List the sources of knowledge on which people rely for their understanding of social reality and explain why the knowledge gained from these sources may sometimes be faulty.
- List the basic steps of the scientific method.
General good content for the introduction to the social science research process
Supplementary Material (Videos and Reading)
Articles/Books on Social Science Research
Video on Social Science Research
Published June 2, 2016
Video Table of Contents:
- 00:00 - Introduction to Scientific Inquiry & Social Science Research
- 00:16 - What is science?
- 02:40 - Why not just rely on common sense or informal advice? (“naïve theory”)
- 02:41 - What is science?
- 07:07 - What is research? 10:03 - Two main methodological paradigms
- 14:50 - What is deductive reasoning? What is inductive reasoning?
- 20:13 - Variables
- 24:37 - Focus of most quantitative research: relationships between variables
- 28:18 - Research – Practice Gap