Multiple Manufacturing Processes
Presentations, videos, handouts, and lab activities:
Turning Videos: machine-tool-turning
- CNC Machinist: cnc-die-shop-machinist
- BridgePort Milling Machine: Milling Machine
- Milling Examples: Milling and squaring-a-part
Multiple Manufacturing Processes (PDF Document)
- Learn how designs turned into products?
- What are resources, materials and methods are used in 'manufacturing'?
For the Instructor: We suggest that each student enroll in this free course. It takes about 20 hours to complete and the students will also have the advantage of getting a certificate of completion
OpenLearn has a free course will introduce manufacturing as a system and will describe some of the many different ways of making products. The course will l illustrate how the required properties of the materials in a product influence the choice of manufacturing process used.
The manufacturing course will teach the following:
- explain the difference between industrial and engineering design with reference to familiar products; and for specific products explain whether it is the product’s form or its function that enhances its value in the marketplace
- understand the concept of a product design specification (PDS), and be able to indicate some to the factors which should be included in producing one
- describe the role of marketing in developing the PDS for a product
- classify products simply in terms of their basic shape
- describe the difference between the hot and cold working of metals and give the advantages of each.
Courseware from MIT
MIT Links to Materials_Machining_Fabrication_Quality Processes